The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships programme (Vanier CGS) provides up to 166 scholarships annually for postgraduate study in Canada. Citizens of all nations, including all Arab countries, are eligible to apply.
Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies. They may study any full-time doctoral degree or combined M.A./Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. in the fields of social sciences and humanities, natural sciences, engineering and health in any Canadian institution that has a Vanier CGS quota.
The scholarship covers recipients’ full study and living costs during their chosen doctoral studies.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are named after the first francophone governor general of Canada, Maj. Gen. Georges P. Vanier. Canada established the programme in 2008 to strengthen the nation’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
1 November 2023
Awards up to $50,000 (CAD) per year for three years.
- Be nominated by a Canadian institution that has received a Vanier CGS quota.
- Be pursuing their first doctoral degree, including joint programmes, and intend to pursue full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating institution.
- Have completed no more than 20 months of full-time study in their doctoral programme by May 1, 2024, or 32 months if enrolled in a joint graduate research programme.
- Have achieved a first-class average or the equivalent in their last two years of full-time study. (Institutions may accept Vanier CGS applications from individuals who have not obtained a first-class average, but must contact their proposed host institutions for their use of this eligibility criterion.)
- Have not already received a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from one of Canada’s three federal granting agencies to undertake or complete a doctoral programme.
How to Apply
Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the nominating institution by their internal deadlineusing the ResearchNet application system. Please visit the CGS nomination/application instructions page for more details.
A complete Vanier CGS application package includes:
- ResearchNet application form (includes two letters of reference, each with three sections).
- A CCV (Common CV).
- A statement of the applicant’s research contributions (maximum one page).
- A personal leadership statement (maximum 2 pages for English applications; 2.5 pages for French applications).
- A statement of any special circumstances that may legitimately affect an applicant’s record of research achievement or have impacted their academic trajectory (maximum 1 page, optional).
- Two leadership letters of reference (maximum 2 pages).
- A research proposal (maximum 2 pages for English applications; 2.5 pages for French applications).
- A list of project references in your research proposal (maximum 5 pages).