University of Barcelona Scholarships for Refugees
Type: Master’s Degree
Who: Refugee Students looking to complete their Master’s at the University of Barcelona
What: Scholarship covering transition year, with the possibility of covering Master’s degree
When: 2019 – 2020
Where: University of Barcelona
Program Length: One to two years
Deadline to Apply: 11 July 2019
Citizenship: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen
Destination Countries: Spain
Academic Subject(s): All Subjects
The University of Barcelona and the Barcelona City Council are offering 15 scholarships to refugee students who are willing to complete their Master’s degrees at the University of Barcelona. The scholarships cover the one-year transition course, including full board accommodation in shared rooms in UB students residences and holistic support (follow-up, psychosocial support, legal advice,…). If the person passes the transition course under the established terms. the scholarship would continue to be valid (enrolment, accommodation, holistic support…) during the master’s degree.
The Transition Course is a bridging course that allows refugee students and students who come from conflict zones to continue with their educational trajectory in a secure and legal way. It lasts one academic year, from September-October 2019 to June 2020, and its contents are the following:
– Spanish and Catalan languages (both of them)
– Human rights training
– Information about the culture, society, labor market and university system
Deadline to apply: July 11, 2019
To be eligible for the grant, applicants must meet the following requirements:
– Be aged under 30 years. The incorporation of women will be encouraged, and it is intended that women account for 50% of the total number of students on the transition course.
– Have a university degree which allows access to a University of Barcelona official and non-interuniversity master’s degree.
– Without Spanish and Catalan language knowledge.
– Priority will be given to people affected by war and those who are persecuted for gender discrimination, sexual orientation, ethnic, religious beliefs, and other reasons. In all cases, these people must demonstrate that they are in a situation in which their human rights are violated through NGO letters or other documentary proves.
– Provide sufficient supporting documentation proving that the applicant has completed their university degree. The documentation must be presented in the original language and in English. This documentation will be checked before selection.
– Provide credible documentation sufficient to demonstrate the student is in economic need. Economic need means the family unit receives income equal to or lower than the average for the local population. Accreditation of this circumstance can be provided by an internationally accredited NGO or other accredited governmental or international entities.
– Provide sufficient supporting documentation to prove that the applicant’s human rights have been seriously violated. This accreditation must be provided, as in the previous point, by specialized entities of probity.
– Apply to OFFICIAL and NON-interuniversity master’s degree programs from the University of Barcelona.
– Not receive any other financial aid or grant during the time the grant is effective.
How to Apply
The following documentation is required for applying for the grant:
– Completed application form. This application form can be found on the following website.
– Copy of valid passport.
– University Degree certificate officially stamped. The documentation must be presented in the original language and in English. This documentation will be checked before selection.
– Cover letter.
– Letter from an internationally accredited NGO or other governmental or international entities of probity, establishing that the applicant’s human rights have been seriously violated because of war or because of violence due to their sexual orientation, gender discrimination, ethnic, religious and other reasons. The letter must be provided, at least, in English.
– Letter from an internationally accredited NGO or other governmental or international entities of probity, establishing that the family unit receives, as a whole, equal to or lower than the average for the local population. The letter must be provided, at least, in English.
All these documents must be attached in pdf format to an email and sent to the following address: [email protected] The email subject must be Name_Surname_ Application_ScholarshipUB.
The deadline for the receipt of candidatures is July 11, 2019 (at 12 AM Barcelona time).