Rhodes Scholarship for Arab students
Type: Master’s Degree
Who: Outstanding Students of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine
What: 2 fully Funded Scholarships
When: 2020 – 2021
Where: University of Oxford
Program Length: 2 years
Deadline to Apply: 31 August 2019
Citizenship: Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria
Destination Countries: UK
Academic Subject(s): All Subjects
Administered by the Rhodes Trust in Oxford, the Rhodes Scholarship Programme offers 100 fully-funded Scholarships each year for postgraduate study at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom – one of the world’s leading universities.
There are two Rhodes Scholarships offered from Syria, Jordan, Lebanon or Palestine each year:
– The Rhodes Scholarship in partnership with the Saïd Foundation for Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine
– The Rhodes Scholarship in partnership with the Saïd Foundation for Syria
Those scholarships will enable outstanding students– chosen on the basis of exceptional intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service – to study, fully-funded, a graduate degree at the University of Oxford beginning in October 2020.
The broad selection criteria are:
– Academic excellence – specific academic requirements can be found under ‘Eligibility Criteria’ below.
– Energy to use your talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, including where teamwork is involved).
– Truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship.
– Moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in your fellow human beings.
Deadline: Applications for Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine must be received by midnight, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT), 31 August 2019.
The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarships for Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine:
– Nationality/citizenship: You must be Syrian, Jordanian, Lebanese or Palestinian.
– Education/Residency: You must have received at least 5 years of education in Syria*, Jordan, Lebanon, the West Bank, Gaza or Israel between the ages of 8-22 years.
*The National Secretary and selection committee will consider some discretion in the case of Syrian applicants, please get in touch early on describing your situation for further advice.
– Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 27th birthday on 01 October 2020, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1993 and on or before 01 October 2001.
– Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by 30 June 2020) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) to a sufficiently high standard to be admitted to postgraduate study at the University of Oxford. In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford.
– English Language: You must have a sufficiently high standard of English and have met -by the application deadline- the English language proficiency requirements for IELTS / TOEFL (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford and the UKVI.
How to Apply:
Candidates may apply online from early June until August 31stth, 2019 through this link.
In preparation for making their application, all candidates should read carefully the general information for candidates on the Rhodes website, the specific full conditions for SJLP and the information in this document and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford.
Longlisted candidates will be invited to attend a Skype or in-person preliminary interview in October.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a final interview, which they are expected to attend in person in mid-November. The interview will take place in Jordan.
Please see full details, including a list of all documents to submit on the Rhodes for SJLP website. For any further information, please contact: [email protected]