The NL High Potential Scholarships for International Students programme at Maastricht University (UM) will provide up to 24 full scholarships to outstanding international applicants for master’s degree study starting next fall. Students from all Arab countries are eligible to apply. The scholarship covers recipients’ full study and living costs during their chosen programmes.
The scholarship programme consists of both the High Potential Scholarship (funded by the Maastricht University Scholarship Fund), and the NL Scholarship, which is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science in conjunction with Dutch universities and universities of applied sciences. It is aimed at international students from outside the European Union and European Economic Area (EU/EEA) who wish to follow a full degree programme in the Netherlands.
Maastricht University is one of the Netherland’s leading universities. More than half of its student population and almost half of its academic staff come from abroad. Most of its programmes are taught in English.
Deadline: 1 February 2024
- 13 months for a one-year master programme
- 25 months for a two-year master programme
- Full tuition fees.
- The scholarship covers living expenses (12,350 euros over 13 months, or 23,750 euros over 25 months), health and liability insurance (700 euros), and visa application costs (210 euros).
- Hold nationality in a country outside the EU/EEA, Switzerland or Suriname and meet the requirements for obtaining an entry visa and residence permit for the Netherlands.
- Not hold a double nationality from an EU/EEA country.
- Not be older than 35 years of age on 1 September 2024.
- Apply for admission to a participating full-time master’s degree programme at Maastricht University (eligible programmes) for the 2024-2025 academic year.
- Meet the specific admission requirements of the UM master programme to which you have applied.
- Have not previously participated in a degree-seeking higher-education programme in the Netherlands. Students who have completed exchange programmes in the Netherlands are welcome to apply.
- Obtain excellent results during your prior education programmes, as demonstrated by your latest grade transcript or certified by academic excellence.
How to Apply
Step 1:Apply for one of the participating master’s degree programmes at UM.For further details on how to apply, please see your prospective programme’s webpage. Once you have submitted your application via Studielink, you will receive a student ID number for UM. You will need a student number in order to complete and submit the Scholarship Application Form (Step 2).
Step 2: Fill in the Scholarship Application Form.Upload the following documents (in .doc, .docx or PDF format) and submit your application.
- Curriculum vitae (up to date, max. two pages).
- Letter of motivation using the site template.
- Proof of academic excellence (transcripts that show the candidates are among the top 20 students of their classes).
- Personal statement of financial need (such as financial difficulties, sole parent/caretaking responsibilities, medical conditions, disability, or refugee status) to justify eligibility for the scholarship.
- A letter of reference. (Download the reference letter guidelines and forward to your referee, who should be one of your former professors, lecturers, or employers. Letters should be dated by February 2024.)
- Your referee’s contact details (showing their connection to you, their work phone number, and their email address.)