Universität Hamburg, in Germany, invites outstanding international students who are currently enrolled at the university to apply for its merit scholarship programme. Students of all nationalities who are non-German citizens are eligible.
The scholarships support students and doctoral researchers in all subjects and at all degree levels who have been socially committed and actively involved in an international context. The awarding of a merit scholarship allows recipients to concentrate fully on their studies and gives them the opportunity to develop their skills.
Deadline: April 15
- have been enrolled in their subject at Universität Hamburg for at least two semesters and be pursuing a degree (students in two-year master’s degree programmes and doctoral researchers can apply after one completed semester);
- not hold German citizenship;
- not be eligible for the German federal student loan scheme.
The maximum monthly funding sum is €850. Depending on the availability of funding, individual doctoral researchers may be awarded a merit scholarship totaling €1,000 per month (roughly two or three merit scholarships are awarded per round).
Merit scholarships are awarded for two semesters (a total of 12 months). Recipients can reapply for a second year of funding. In exceptional cases, the maximum funding period is three years.
- letter of motivation
- proof of social and/or intercultural activities (if applicable)
- record of achievements.
- evaluations from two professors or junior professors at Universität Hamburg.
How to Apply
The first step is to enroll in a degree programme of the university, demonstrate good to excellent academic performance for the relevant period, and meet all other selection criteria. You may then apply for a scholarship using the online form based on the deadline for your chosen application period:
Application form (15 April deadline, for funding beginning this fall).
Application form (15 October deadline, for funding beginning next spring).
You will then be invited to register and to complete your application.