MEPI Tomorrow’s Leaders Scholarships for Arabs
Type: Bachelor's (Undergraduate)
Who: Qualified students from the Middle East and North Africa
What: travel, academic fees for four years of university at AUB, AUC or LAU, accident and sickness insurance, housing, and a monthly allowance during the school year.
Where: LAU, AUB, AUC
Program Length: Four years
Deadline to Apply: 02 December 2020
Citizenship: Algeria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, Yemen
Destination Countries: Egypt, Lebanon
Academic Subject(s): All Subjects
The U.S. Department of State’s U.S.-Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) and AMIDEAST are pleased to announce this year’s recruitment for the Tomorrow’s Leaders Program. The Tomorrow’s Leaders Program is an initiative for capable and highly motivated high school seniors in the Middle East and North Africa who are from underserved backgrounds. The program will provide four-year university enrollment and internship opportunities at select institutions of higher learning in the Middle East.
Applicants are being recruited from Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen.
Eligible students include men and women who have the potential to become leaders, represent the region’s cultural, religious, and geographic diversity, are from socio-economically deserving backgrounds, and are unable to afford four years of college enrollment at an American university in the Middle East.
The primary objective of MEPI’s Tomorrow’s Leaders program is to build a cadre of university-age leaders who are civic-minded, intellectually able, and professionally skilled, who will become the community, business, and national leaders of the future. The program intends to nurture leadership skills and the spirit of civic engagement and volunteerism among outstanding university-age students at the American University of Beirut (AUB), the American University in Cairo (AUC) and the Lebanese American University (LAU). Selected students will join the 501 Tomorrow’s Leaders who have participated in this program.
Tomorrow’s Leaders may pursue an eligible undergraduate degree in a selected field at one of the three host institutions and should be prepared to begin the program in the Fall 2020 term. Participants are expected to maintain at least a 3.0 GPA, engage in community service activities, and participate in career-relevant internships. Students may also have an opportunity for a study-abroad semester in the U.S. Limited English- language training will be provided for some participants.
Participation in the program includes: travel, academic fees for four years of university at AUB, AUC or LAU, accident and sickness insurance, housing, and a monthly allowance during the school year.
Deadline: December 4, 2020
– Be a current high school senior or applicant who graduated from high school in 2020 or 2019.
– Be a citizen of Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, or Yemen.
– Have strong academic credentials.
– Have proficiency in written and spoken English with a minimum score of 55 for the TOEFL iBT that is less than two years old.
– Students who qualify may be eligible for up to one year of intensive English language training.
– If you do not have a TOEFL score, or if your score is more than two years old, contact AMIDEAST for test scheduling.
– Demonstrate maturity, flexibility and leadership potential.
– Maintain a high GPA and pass the high school exit exam in their final year.
– Be able to start the program in August/September of 2021.
How to Apply
Applicants are being recruited from Algeria, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen. Please see your country-specific information page for eligibility requirements and the application deadline.