Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
Type: Bachelor’s (Undergraduate), Master’s Degree, Ph.D. or Other Doctoral Degrees
Who: Arab students interested in studying in the UK
What: Tyition fees, travel expenses.
Where: University of Edinburgh
Program Length: More than a year
Deadline to Apply: 30 October 2020
Citizenship: Algeria, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Somalia, Sudan, Tunisia
Destination Countries: UK
Academic Subject(s): Community Development, Development Practice, Energy Studies, Environment and sustainability, Health related research project, Political Science, Renewable Energy
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh will provide full scholarships to Arab students from Sub-Saharan African countries who demonstrate great academic and leadership potential but have few educational opportunities.
Twenty-one scholarships are available for the 2021/22 academic year. The scholarships will cover the full tuition fees and expenses for accommodation and maintenance.
On top of financial support, scholars will participate in activities as part of the wider Scholars Program at the University of Edinburgh, including work-based placements, mentorship, and other activities during the academic year.
Scholarships are available for the following postgraduate programs:
– MSc Africa and International Development
– MSc Environment and Development
– MSc Global Health Policy
– MA Design for Change
– MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
– MSc Entrepreneurship and Innovation
– MSc Finance, Technology and Policy
– MSc Food Security
– MSc Design Informatics
October 30 at 2 p.m. U.K. time.
– Have graduated no later than September 2020.
– Be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country. Applicants currently residing outside of this region for education or who have been displaced and sought refuge are still eligible to apply.
– Demonstrate a track record of leadership and service within their community.
– Be able to show they lack the financial means to pursue higher education in their home country or elsewhere.
– Want to study one of the eligible degree programs at the University of Edinburgh.
– Qualify academically for admission to the degree program of their choice.
– Applicants should not have completed a postgraduate degree previously and should not be enrolled at a separate university while on scholarship.
Application to the scholarship and the University of Edinburgh:
– If you apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program please apply for the scholarship first. If you are successful in the scholarship process, the team will support you to apply for admission to your chosen degree program.
– If you are applying for other scholarships in the University of Edinburgh, please apply directly to the degree program of your choice.
More information on how to apply can be found on each individual degree program’s web page in the university’s Postgraduate Degree Finder.
– Bachelor’s Degree Certificate
– Official Transcript
– Test Certificate
– Recommendation letter/Reference Letter
– Application Form
How To Apply
Register to create an applicant account here.
Submit all the required documents, Your university degree certificate, and a final official transcript. If you do not yet have these documents, you will have the chance to continue with the scholarship application and state why you do not yet have these, when you expect them to be available and what your predicted final grades will be.
All applicants who receive an offer will be tested by the University’s English Language Education (ELE) center unless they already have a valid English language test.
Starting February, applicants who have been shortlisted will be invited to interview via Skype or in person. There will also be a request to submit a reference for all short-listed applicants at this stage.
The university will notify all short-listed applicants of the outcome of their interview by 15 April 2021. If you are successful, the outcome will be both an offer of scholarship as well as for admission to the University.