The Jusoor-PIESC Scholarship will provide two fully-funded scholarships for Syrian students to study a four-year bachelor’s degree in the arts, humanities, or social sciences, at Bard College Berlin, in Germany, as part of the college’s Program of International Education and Social Change (PIESC). Only citizens of Syrian or Palestinian-Syrian origin are eligible to apply.
The scholarship will cover the full cost of studying at Bard College Berlin and also provide additional discretionary funding.
Bard College Berlin is an accredited German-American liberal arts university that offers intensive, transdisciplinary education in the humanities and social sciences. It offers three bachelor’s degrees:
- B.A. in Artistic Practice and Society
- B.A. in Economics, Politics, and Social Thought
- B.A. in Humanities, the Arts, and Social Sciences
PIESC, the Program in International Education and Social Change, was introduced at Bard College Berlin in 2015 and has supported over 60 students from areas of crisis and conflict, including Syria, Palestine, Iraq, and Yemen.
The Jusoor scholarship programme looks for people with academic achievement, personal achievement, and leadership potential who have financial need and are committed towards rebuilding Syria. Scholarship candidates must show evidence of academic excellence through their transcripts, references, experience, and the potential to succeed on their chosen course.
Jusoor (meaning “bridges” in Arabic) is an international non-governmental organization founded in 2011 with the mission of maximizing the potential of Syrian youth through education”.
15 January 2024
- University tuition fees.
- A monthly stipend.
- Travel costs to and from Germany.
- The cost of one visa application.
- Health insurance.
- Be Syrian (including Palestinians with Syrian travel documents), have lived continuously in Syria prior to the current crisis, and be currently living in Syria or one of its neighboring countries (Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey, Iraq, or Egypt).
- Have applied to study an eligible bachelor’s degree at the Bard College Berlin.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Show intent to contribute to the redevelopment of Syria.
- Have a strong record of leadership and community engagement, as demonstrated through volunteer and/or work experience.
- Be willing to remain engaged with the Jusoor community.
How to Apply
Candidates must apply through the university. Please see Bard College Berlin’s admissions page for more information. The deadline for applications is 15 January 2024.
Applicants who are admitted to Bard College Berlin and meet Jusoor’s eligibility criteria will be invited for an interview with representatives of the university and Jusoor. There is no separate scholarship application.