The Academy Scholars Program of the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies is accepting applications from recent Ph.D.’s and doctoral candidates in the social sciences for two-year postdoctoral fellowships that will start August 1, 2024.
The program supports outstanding scholars at the start of their academic careers whose work combines excellence in a social-science discipline with a command of the language and knowledge or expertise of countries or regions outside of the United States or Canada. The fellowships are in-residence at the Harvard Academy for International and Area Studies, which is housed at the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs at Harvard University, in the United States.
Candidates’ scholarship should span traditional disciplinary divisions and elucidate comparative, transnational, or domestic issues, past or present. They receive financial and research assistance which permits them to undertake robust research projects and skills development in their chosen fields and areas.
September 22, 2023.
Annual stipend of $75,000.
- Have a Ph.D. or comparable doctoral degree earned within two years of the August 1, 2024, start date, or be an advanced doctoral candidate in the social sciences who is able to submit degree conferral documentation by June 30, 2024.
- Not hold or have completed another Harvard postdoctoral fellowship.
How to Apply
Complete the online application. Required documents include:
- A curriculum vitae (CV), including a list of publications.
- A research proposal (2,000 words maximum) outlining intellectual objectives and planned methodological and disciplinary work.
- One scholarly writing sample (e.g., Ph.D. dissertation chapter or single-authored peer-reviewed academic journal article, 50 pages maximum, in English).
- A copy of the applicant’s Ph.D. program transcript.
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded to the online application directly and confidentially by the recommender by September 22, 2023).