The Georg Forster Research Fellowship supports postdoctoral and experienced researchers from developing countries during six- to 24-month research stays in Germany.
Through the Georg Forster Research Fellowship, the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation sponsors postdoctoral researchers and experienced researchers with above-average qualifications and from all fields.
The fellowship enables you to conduct your own research in collaboration with a host at a German research institution of your choice.
The Selection Committee that reviews applications to this programme meets every February, June and October. Please send your completed application form, including any additional documents required, well in advance of your desired selection date. Applications are usually processed within four to eight months.
To successfully apply for the Georg Forster Research Fellowship, your research should make a significant contribution to the further development of your region of origin. You must also fulfil the following criteria:
Nationality: You must be a citizen of a developing or transition country, excluding the People’s Republic of China and India (see a list of eligible countries). In the Arab region, eligible countries include: Algeria, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Palestine, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, and Yemen.
Place of residence/stay : You must have lived and worked in an eligible developing or transition country for at least 12 months within the last 18 months.
Education: You must have completed your doctorate or equivalent degree less than 12 years before the date of application. If you obtained your university entrance qualification and university degree or your university degree and your doctorate in Germany, you can apply if you have lived and worked in one of the developing or transition countries from the list for at least five years and you intend to do so long-term.
Expert reviews: Please provide two expert reviews.
– Postdocs: Your doctoral supervisor and one other researcher – outside of your institute, if possible – should provide well-grounded information on your qualifications.
– Experienced researchers: The reviews should be provided by important collaborative partners and/or researchers at your own institute as well as other institutes – outside your country of origin, if possible.
Language skills: Good knowledge of German or English for most fields.
Benefits include a monthly fellowship rate 2,500 euros for postdoctoral researchers, and a monthly fellowship rate 3,000 euros for experienced researchers.
All fellows are eligible for additional benefits, including:
– a mobility subsidy for expenses in connection with necessary conference and research travel;
– a subsidy towards the costs of medical and liability insurance;
– family allowances for accompanying family members staying at least three months;
– curriculum vitae (two pages max)
– research outline (five pages max)
– complete list of your publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
– List of key publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
– key publications
– doctoral certificate or proof that your doctorate has been completed successfully, or confirmation that this will be the case within the next six months
– German language certificate, if required
How to apply:If you would like to apply for the Georg Forster Research Fellowship, please submit the necessary documents to the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation online only through this link.