The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme awards full-cost scholarships to outstanding international students to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the University of Cambridge. Citizens of countries outside the United Kingdom, including all Arab countries, are eligible to apply.
Gates Cambridge scholars may study any postgraduate course available at the University of Cambridge, with the exception of certain business and medical degrees. The scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge and also provides additional discretionary funding.
The programme offers about 80 full-cost scholarships each year. Approximately two-thirds of these awards go to Ph.D. students, with approximately 25 awards available in the United States and 55 available to citizens of other countries.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme was established in 2000 by a historic donation of $210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge.
The programme looks for people with outstanding intellectual ability and leadership potential who share a commitment to improving the lives of others. Scholarship candidates must show evidence of academic excellence through their transcripts, references, experience, and the potential to succeed on their chosen course. They must also provide evidence of their past, current and future commitment to the societies in which they will live and work.
At the end of their scholarship, Gates Cambridge Scholars become part of a lifelong global community of over 1,700 Gates Cambridge Alumni who are committed to improving the lives of others through leadership.
5 December 2023 or 4 January 2024, depending on the chosen course.
Depends on the length of your course.
- University tuition fees.
- A monthly stipend.
- Travel costs to and from the U.K.
- An arrival allowance.
- The cost of one visa application.
- The cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
Applicants must be:
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom.
- Applying to pursue one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge: Ph.D. (full-time or part-time); M.Litt. (full-time); a one-year postgraduate course (full-time), with some exceptions.
How to Apply
Check the University Course Directory to find the relevant deadline for your course. Create an account to start your application (see the guidelines for the application process) and prepare the following documents:
- Education documents (certified and stamped).
- English language qualification.
- Gates Cambridge statement (approximately 500 words).
- Research proposal (Ph.D. applicants only).
- Gates Cambridge reference (two academic references).