Type: Bachelor’s (Undergraduate)
Who: Students from Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan, or Yemen.
What: Tuition fees + living stipend
When: 2020 – 2021
Where: University of York, UK
Program Length: 3 years
Deadline to Apply: 30 April 2020
Citizenship: Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen
Destination Countries: UK
Academic Subject(s): All Subjects
The University of York, in the UK, is offering five Sharifah Sofia Albukhary Scholarships for undergraduate students in need of financial support to further their education. This scholarship has been made possible thanks to a generous donation from the Albukhary Foundation. The scholarships are open to students from the following Arab countries: Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
The scholarship amounts available vary based on the individual financial needs of the student. For the 2020–21 academic year, the available awards are:
– One award of £75,000 over three years
– Four awards of £31,250 to help cover living costs and expenses, plus you will pay no tuition fees to the University for the duration of the three-year degree.
Deadline: April 30, 2020
– You must be a citizen of one of the countries named in the scholarship description. The Arab nations among those countries are Comoros, Djibouti, Mauritania, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen.
– You must hold a conditional or unconditional offer for a full-time three-year undergraduate course at the University of York.
How to Apply
You must apply online through UCAS, the British university admissions service. Applications for 2020 will open on Friday 13 December 2019.
As part of the application you will need to provide:
– a personal statement of no more than 500 words explaining why you would like to be considered for the scholarship
– information on your current financial situation, including your household income.
If your UCAS reference is not sufficient, you may be asked to provide an additional academic reference.
We recommend that you prepare this statement before you start your application. You will need to tell us:
– why you are a strong candidate for this scholarship
– how this scholarship will help you achieve your ambitions for the future.
We recommend that you have this information to hand before beginning your application form.
You will need to tell us about:
– your personal financial situation
– your household financial situation
– any other sources of funding available to you, including any other scholarship applications you have submitted.