To mark our fifth anniversary, Al-Fanar Media is inviting photographers, amateur and professional alike, to contribute to our first-ever Photography Competition.
The winning submission will receive a prize of $400; second prize will be $100; and the top ten photographs will be featured in a special photo gallery on the Al-Fanar Media website. Winners will be announced in May 2018.
Competition begins March 21, 2018, and ends April 30, 2018, at midnight GMT.
Please carefully review the below competition terms and submission requirements.
Terms and Requirements
What kinds of photographs are eligible?
Photographs should be journalistic in style – they should “tell a story” about the subject.
Photograph subjects should be clearly connected to our mission of covering higher education in the Arab world. For example: images of university classrooms, unique buildings, gatherings of students, laboratories and institutes, training and continuing education, and creative spaces on campus.
Images of children below the age of 18, or images unrelated to Arab higher education, cannot be accepted.
All photos become property of Al-Fanar Media.
Who is eligible?
- Residents of the 22 Arab League countries, 18 years of age or older.
- Amateur and professional photographers
- Employees of and regular contributors to Al-Fanar Media are not eligible to participate.
To be included in the competition, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- No more than one photographic image of at least 2048 x 1536 and no more than 8192 x 6144
- Photo must be landscape (horizontal orientation). Vertical/portrait images cannot be accepted.
- Photo must be full-color (black and white photos cannot be accepted) and must be free of tags, signatures, initials, frames, borders, logos or other references or markings.
- You must certify that you have obtained signed permission for use from any people whose faces are visible on photos
- Photo must have a title and a 250-character (maximum) caption that includes the photographer’s full name, the date and location of the photograph, what’s happening in the photograph and what inspired you to take it.
- Photo cannot have been published elsewhere.
- Photo must be certified to be your original work.
Where to send your entry:
All entries must be submitted through our online form. Incomplete entries cannot be considered.
*Al-Fanar Media reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions at any time without notice.